Sunday, July 13, 2014

Your Prayers Have Saved Us

La Carpio is a dear place to my heart.  It was the first place I visited when I began my journey to Costa Rica in 2007.  I have watched many of the kids grow and develop into young men and women. I can't express my sincere gratitude to Missionary Steve Edwards who makes our time in La Carpio possible.

This was an amazing year. We had the blessing of working in the community with the children and with the new Skate Church in La Carpio.  Even though La Carpio is considered one of the most dangerous barrios in Costa Rica, I have seen transformation. The community is beginning to come alive through a local non-profit who is offering educational experiences as well as hosting a music school on Saturday mornings.

In addition to this local non-profit, Lalo has begun Skate Church Costa Rica in La Carpio.  Over 30 teenagers gathered for the first time while we were there to skate and hear a message from God's word. We had the privilege of handing out Skate Church t-shirts and sharing God's love and encouragement with them.

I'm still gathering all of my thoughts and feelings but there is one statement I can't get out of my mind. As we were leaving La Carpio, one of the teenagers told our group - "Your prayers have saved us."  He was referring to the many times he had been saved from gunfire. Just after he told us that our prayers had saved him, another youth said "I can't pray with your group because God can't save me from this place."   May we continue to sacrificially serve so that this young man's desperation can be turned into hope.

Each time we go to La Carpio, we bring the hope of Christ - we bring encouragement to stay in school - we bring encouragement to stay away from drugs - we bring the unconditional love of Jesus Christ.

May our prayers continue to save those in La Carpio!  This is Lapiz - "Your prayers have saved us!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday