Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Saying No; Saying Yes

Ash Wednesday Meditation
Rising from the ashes...

The kind of Lent Jesus desires for us is the kind that prepares our hearts for a Savior who rises from the ashes of death to bring new life.

The ashes on the forehead remind me that human life has limits, that it comes to an end, that we all die. The ashes speak of my need for a Savior, my need for God.

Lord I need you, oh I need you, every hour I need you.....

Many people see Lent as "giving up something." But I think it's more than saying "no" to chocolate or sodas for a few weeks.  When we answer Christ's call to say no, we should answer his call to say no to destructive practices. Saying no means there is energy to say yes to positive disciplines. We can fill the space and time left by our saying no with some positive disciplines to help us respond to God's love more intentionally. John Wesley called them the means of grace: prayer, searching the scriptures, fasting, acts of kindness aimed at justice, and regular attendance at corporate worship where we participate in the sacraments of baptism and communion and meet God as the scriptures are read and proclaimed.

Will you prepare your heart for the Lenten Journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday