Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Consumption & Gratitude

This past week, our church began a 6 week series that focuses on how we can live a Satisfied life.   We were challenged with the truth that consumption does not equal contentment.  We were asked to count our shoes and our shirts.  Yes, I have over 40 pairs of shoes.  And, I have 24 pairs of high heels.  Then we were challenged to give something valuable away.  As I engaged in this assignment, I found it difficult to figure out what I would want to give away and to whom. Do people really need my "stuff?" Well, maybe & maybe not.

I remember the first time I served as a missionary outside of St. Petersburg in Russia. I was nearing the end of my time there and I offered almost all of my clothing to a teenage girl that I had befriended.  With excitement, I gave her my clothes (thinking she needed them.)  She looked at me and shook her head "no."  She didn't want my clothes.  I felt very awkward and embarrassed.  You see, she had clothes but she just didn't have very many clothes - maybe 8 outfits.  Even though I thought she could use some more clothes, she knew she didn't need anymore clothes. I then remember her pointing to my backpack - my new LL Bean Cobalt Blue Backpack.  She wanted and needed my backpack. Honestly, I hesitated.  This was my new favorite backpack but it was what she needed.  How did I miss that? She had been carrying around items such as books and food all summer and had even used my backpack for her things.  I missed it because I wasn't sensitive to her needs.  I thought I knew what she needed and I was wrong.


Moscow, Russia - Red Square - Taken 1995

In reflecting on what God taught me while I served 10 weeks in Russia and in recalling God's word, I was drawn to Dueteronomy 24 where scripture teaches us about the rights of the widows, orphans and immigrants.  

17 Don’t obstruct the legal rights of an immigrant or orphan. Don’t take a widow’s coat as pledge for a loan. 18 Remember how you were a slave in Egypt but how the Lord your God saved you from that. That’s why I’m commanding you to do this thing.
19 Whenever you are reaping the harvest of your field and you leave some grain in the field, don’t go back and get it. Let it go to the immigrants, the orphans, and the widows so that the Lord your God blesses you in all that you do. 20 Similarly, when you beat the olives off your olive trees, don’t go back over them twice. Let the leftovers go to the immigrants, the orphans, and the widows. 21 Again, when you pick the grapes of your vineyard, don’t pick them over twice. Let the leftovers go to the immigrants, the orphans, and the widows. 22 Remember how you were a slave in Egypt. That’s why I am commanding you to do this thing.


Throughout Deuteronomy, there is a strong anticipation of the promised land, which was soon to be in the possession of the Israelites. The majority of Israelite families would be allotted a portion of the land and they would harvest the produce of the land, crops and fruit. But there would be some who would not be landowners and who could easily feel left out of the life of the community in that they did not share directly in the possession of the land promised and given by God. This instruction makes sure that resident immigrants, orphans, and widows, though not owning land for themselves, might nevertheless share in the fruit of the land. The manner of their participation in the fruit of the land would be such that they could maintain their honor and self-respect. They would not have to beg or seek a "hand-out"; they would go into the fields and orchards after the harvest, and like the farmer, they would work for their own small harvest, as they searched and gleaned for the grain and fruit that had been left there. And the farmers, who had allowed some produce to remain, were not simply being charitable to those less fortunate than themselves; they were expressing their gratitude to God, who had brought them out of the slavery in Egypt and given to them a land of their own.

You see, when we choose not to consume all that is at our fingertips (even if we can afford it), we are simply expressing gratitude to God for all that he has done for us.  I am very thankful for a frugal husband.  He definitely keeps my spending in check.  He has taught me through the years that when we don't consume the things we don't need, we are expressing our gratitude to God for all that he has given to us.  And in the spirit of gratitude, we are able to then provide honor & self-respect for the immigrant, the orphan and the widow. This is a difficult task.  Sometimes, people can use my clothes.  Other times, people simply need money or my time. And at other moments, people need to be able to afford a house and find a job. I am very grateful for a church that honors immigrants by partnering with Kentucky Refugee Ministries - that gives $43,000 dollars toward a bilingual school that will help orphans - that adopts children into a loving home and is generous to those widows who are in need. May God continue to give us discernment on how we can give honor and self-respect to the immigrant, the orphan and the widow.

I look forward to what this series has in store for our Church!  God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday