Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Spiritual Feast

For what has been, for what remains, for what will be - I give thanks!

Today, I presided for the last time as Associate Minister over The Lord's Supper at Middletown Christian Church.  When I first began serving at Middletown over 5 years ago, I had not experienced celebrating The Lord's Supper on a weekly basis.  In the Baptist world, I celebrated it once a month and in my younger years - once a quarter. However, I have grown to love and appreciate the important invitation I receive each and every week to remember...

At The Lord's Supper where all are welcome,  I receive the invitation to direct my attention to Jesus' crucifixion - to remember that God sent his one and only son into this world so that whoever believes in him would not perish but would have everlasting life.  For me, The Lord's Supper is an invitation to identify with Christ's death and resurrection in the power of the Holy Spirit. And, I have the privilege to come to the table with my brothers and sisters, to have communion with Christ. It is at this table that I am reminded of what Christ has done for me:  he has reconciled me to God.

And, that's worth feasting over every single week.

With my brothers and sisters at the Table of the Lord,

we celebrate with thanksgiving the saving acts, forgiveness and presence of Jesus Christ!
we confess that Jesus is the Christ and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world!
we accept our mission of witness and service to all people!
we rejoice in God's covenant of love which binds us to God and to one another!
we yield ourselves to God that we may serve the one whose kingdom has no end!

Blessing and Honor and Glory be to God forever and ever! Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday