Sunday, January 15, 2023

REFLECTIONS ON 20 YEARS OF MINISTRY


Wow, God! Thank you! October 2022 marked 20 years since my ordination into gospel ministry. Tomorrow, January 16, 2023 marks 5 years of ministry at Northeast Christian Church. As I've reflected on the past 5 years of ministry at Northeast, I've also recalled some of the things I've learned in 20 years and the things for which I'm most grateful. 

1. Ministry is about God. It's about who He is - all sufficient. It's about what He is doing - redeeming and restoring. 

2. Family comes before ministry in the church. I am thankful for the people who spoke this truth into my life early in ministry. More importantly, I'm forever grateful to my mom, my husband and my two sons for supporting me in my call to Gospel ministry. 

3. The Gospel is powerful enough to change lives. It's Good News! Programs and personalities don't change people's heart - the Gospel does. I've seen the Gospel free people from the bondage of sin and give hope to the hopeless.  

4. Give ministry away. Invite people to serve and lead. People often ask me, "What keeps you loving ministry?" It's the people who love, serve and give sacrificially. 

5.  I'm tremendously grateful for the grace people have shown me. I'm thankful for the notes of encouragement I've received through the years. These notes are a great reminder to encourage others.

6.  I do not live by bread alone. God's word is living and active. John 15, one of many Biblical passages, centers my heart and my mind - and I mean the whole chapter. 

7. The hymn "Just As I Am" can still reduce me to tears, along with many other hymns and worship songs.

8. There is no healthy ministry without mentoring. I am forever grateful for the leaders who took a chance on me at a young age and as a young female pastor. These mentors taught me what I know. Thank you Mack Craddock, Chris Caldwell, Les Hollon and David Emery. You believed in me and modeled the love of Christ. The best leaders give away influence and spotlight. I pray God uses me to mentor others. 

9.  The blessing of friendship is a true gift of God. I have learned through the years how I desperately need friends who love me for me and can speak truth into my life. Being myself is essential to healthy ministry. It's crucial that I don't compare and try to be someone else. 

10. Don't avoid conflict and criticism. Thank God for it. Learn to manage conflict. When dealt with in a healthy way, God is glorified.

11. Develop rhythms of rest, relaxation and exercise. Eat healthy and take days off. 

12. Cross-cultural friendships and experiences are life changing. True ministry is relational not transactional. 

13. Embrace the wonder and mystery of prayer in your everyday life. Ask, Seek, Knock!

14. Read, learn and innovate. Don't be afraid of failure. Ask hard questions. Always be thinking about what changes and improvements you can make. Create space and pathways to learn from others. 

15. Learn contentment. Live with intention. Find balance. 

16. Everyone has value and is made in the image of God. Invite people to the table. Love your neighbor.

17. Show hospitality. If you are able, invite people into your home for dinner - even if you aren't a great cook. I'm thankful my small group likes food from Costco! 

18. Listen to people. Sit with them in their grief and their pain. You don't have to offer solutions or even quote scripture. Just be there.

19. Confess your sin and you will be healed. Put guardrails on your life. Set boundaries.

20. The Lord is a strong tower. Run to it and you will be safe.  

and many more but these are just a few....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday