Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hungry

A Few Reflections from David Emery's sermon "What's for Dinner? Bless and Break" Mark 6:30-44

Today, I came hungry to church.  Not physically but spiritually.  I came hungry for God's Love, God's Peace that passes all understanding, God's healing and God's teaching. 

I came to church today asking God to feed me!  I came to church today asking God to feed the multitudes through music, baptism, meditation at the Table and spoken word.  Wouldn't you know it?  God feeds me every time I ask.  I wondered today how many of us ask God to feed us before going to church on Sunday morning. Do we come hungry for his love, for his peace, for his healing for his teaching?

There's a blessing that comes as we hunger for God's righteousness.  Even in the desert of our lives there is always bread from God.  Even when there is no physical bread, I must believe that God provides spiritual bread.  In our hunger, God desires to feed us at the deepest level. 

One way that God feeds me is through the offering of my resources.The boy offered 5 loaves and 2 fish - his present resources.  I wonder what that little boy thought as the 5 loaves and 2 fish kept multiplying.  I imagine his heart began to overflow with the fullness of God. 

On my recent trip to Honduras, I became so inspired by the movement of God at Loma de Luz.  God was very clear in telling me to offer my resources to help build the Bi-lingual School so that Loma de Luz can continue raising the next generation of Christian Leaders for Honduras.  I came home and told Wally what God had said to me.  We prayed and made a significant gift to the building of the Bi-lingual School.  And, I know as we watch the walls go up and as we watch children's lives being transformed by Christ - we will be filled. 

We must realize that as Christ-followers, we are to share our resources - our assets for the building of God's Kingdom here on earth.  May God multiply the resources I offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday