Thursday, January 23, 2014

How much should I keep?


This weekend, members/attendees from Middletown Christian Church will be challenged to make a covenant with God as to their financial commitment to the mission of Middletown Christian Church.  

As I have grown in my Christian pilgrimage, I have been challenged with how much to give financially.The question I must continually ask myself is not, “How much can I give and feel good about myself?”, but rather, “How much is pleasing to God?"  Tithing/Giving in the Old Testament teaches that, as followers of God, we are to give 10 percent of what we have to God. However, the New Testament presents an approach that is much more radical than percentages. Luke 3:11 – “He who has two coats let him share with him who has none. And he who has food let him do likewise.” That’s 50% not 10%. Zacchaeus stood and said, “Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor.” Again, that’s 50%. Jesus said to the rich young man, “If you would be perfect, go sell what you possess and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me.” Matthew 19:21 – That’s 100%. “All who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need.” Acts 2:44f. These are just a few verses among many.

I have a growing conviction that God took the focus off giving a tithe in the early church because he wants believers to ask themselves a new question. The question I feel Jesus wants us to ask is not “How much do I give?” but rather “How much do I keep?” One of the differences between the Old Testament and the New Testament is the Great Commission which is found in Matthew 28:19-20.The responsibility given to the church through the Great Commission requires such an incredible investment of commitment and money that the thought of settling the issue of what we give by a fixed percentage is simply out of the question. In a world where 10,000 people a day starve to death, the question is not “How much do I give?” but rather “How much do I keep?”

My prayer is that you as a Christ follower will take a look at where your treasure is. If you aren’t giving a regular amount then start giving a regular amount each week with the goal to give 10 percent and above. If you are giving 10 percent then pray about what you can give above 10 percent that would be an investment and a sacrifice. Because we own nothing in this life, it is best to wisely invest the resources we manage for the One who is the true owner of all things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday