Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Blessing of Knowing!

S.O.A.K (Lenten Reflection)

Scripture:  Philippians 3:12 - Press On!
Derby Mini Marathon 2014


Observation:  Philippians 3:2-12 is one of my favorite passages of scripture!  I could write for days just on this one passage. It is rich with meaning for those of us who strive to live like Christ. What is Paul's goal here?  It is to know Christ!  What would it mean for us in our spiritual life each year to set a goal to know Christ?  Paul simply wants to keep pressing on to know Christ.  He wants to know the power of the resurrection. He wants to know fellowship with Christ through suffering.  Paul knows that the root, the foundation of all that we are in Christ begins by knowing Him. Paul is running the Christian race (1 Corinthians 9:24) and he is determined to press on....to continue the race!  He knows that in order to continue to move forward in the race, he must continue to know Christ more deeply.

Application:  Two years ago, I ran the mini marathon with my friends - KJ Powell and Karen Curnutte.  I remember that first practice run through the Iroquois Park - ouch!  The hills were challenging but I was determined to press on.  I knew I would never possess my 13.1 sticker if I did not keep training!  After completing the race, the greatest blessing was not my 13.1 sticker but the experience I had in getting to know my two friends.  That's the way it is with Christ!  The true blessing of the Christian Life is simply knowing Him.

Kneel:  Give me the strength to Press On when I am weak!  Give me the desire to Press On when all is going well!  Give me the wisdom to Press On when I think that I may have arrived.  Lord, I need you to Press On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday