Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Discovering God

Lenten Reading:  Matthew 4:1-11

"If you are the Son of God..."

Have you ever struggled with your identity? Have you ever questioned your role as a friend, a student, a parent or an employee? Maybe you have said, "If I am a great student then I would make straight As or score perfect on the ACT." Maybe you have said, "If I am a good friend then I would not be bullied, right?" Maybe you have said, "If I am an exceptional employee then I would get a raise." Or, maybe you have said, "If I am a good parent then my child would be different."

Here in this passage, I am reminded that Jesus knows who he is by remembering whose he is. Might it be that a part of being human is being aware that we are insufficient. As Christ followers and as beloved sons and daughters of God, our identity is rooted in Christ. It is not rooted in our identity as a student or friend or a parent. Blaise Pascal once described the essential condition of humanity as having a God shaped hole. This story for me illustrates that my relationship with Christ (having his peace, joy and love) is the only thing that will fill that hole.

When we are tempted to chase after an identity other than one rooted in a relationship with God through Christ, the hole will not be filled. Success and power in any position we hold (whether parent, coach, friend, employee) will leave us restless until we find rest in God.

I'm thankful Jesus refused to establish his own worth and identity on his own terms (by turning the stone into bread, jumping from the temple, worshiping another) but instead remained dependent on God!

You see, every time we place our complete trust in God and not in ourselves - we discover God amid our needs and learn that God's Grace is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday