Sunday, March 19, 2017

Heart of Worship

Weekly Lenten Reflection

Today, I chose to focus on the Gospel reading from the Lectionary as I did last week.  For many Christians, John 4 is a familiar passage.  As I have reflected on this passage, I keep returning to the phrase "you must worship in spirit and truth."  The greatest times of worship in my life have not occurred because of an awesome worship band or the ambiance of the room.  The most life changing times of worship have taken place when my heart was ready to receive whatever God desired to give me.  Trust me, I do enjoy great authentic worship in song. During a song, my hand is usually raised once or twice - even when hymns are being sung. It is important to remember that worship is not only feel good emotion. Worship is not only singing to God. I must remember that it's not what I do (or don't do) with my hands but worship is what I do with my heart and mind because of the one who has captured my heart and my mind.
Germany 2005
We must worship in spirit (heart) and truth (mind!) Finding a quiet place or admiring God's creation
directs my heart and mind to the right place. I challenge you to consider what helps turn your heart and mind to the right place so you can receive what you need from the Maker of all Good Things!

I love the song, The Heart of Worship. Here are the lyrics....

When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
that will bless your heart.

I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself
is not what you have required
You search much deeper within through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you, it's all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you, it's all about you, Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday