Thursday, May 18, 2017

Losing with Grace

I have possessed a few titles in my years, but none more important than that of "mom." Tonight, I had a front row seat to another proud mom moment. The District Championship game was tied 2-2 and the whistle blew three times signaling the end of play.  I sighed because I knew what was next.  Yes. Penalty kicks. And, Max was playing goalie for  his Meyzeek Middle School team.  This isn't his normal position but he had stepped up to the challenge.

The penalty kicks were set into motion.  The crowd was intense. Parents, friends and family yelling for their respective team.  Now, I wish I could tell you that Max stopped every penalty kick as the goalie but I can't.  At the end of play, Max's team came up short. When they lost 5-4 in the penalty kick shoot out, Max sat down in the grass and cupped his hands around his face and began to cry.  The whole team was heartbroken. They had given their best. Max had stopped at least 10 shots on goal. However, he couldn't sit there very long as both teams began to shake hands and congratulate one another on a great game.

Coach then asked all the parents to circle around the team as most of them lay on the ground with their hands covering their faces.  Well, Max was sitting on his soccer ball with tears still running down his face.  Now I know this is just middle school soccer but these boys wanted to win.  And, they just came up short to a very good team. After Coach said a few words and gave them their medals, most of the boys sat there for a little while longer.  It's hard to lose.

I then saw Max stand up and walk over to the other team as they celebrated their victory.  I saw him go and congratulate two of his friends who played for the other team.  He said a few words to them and gave them a hug. Then, I started crying.  Proud mom moment.  Isn't that what we hope for our children?  That they will learn how to lose with grace.  Because God knows this will not be the only time he loses. Honestly, it isn't easy to watch your child lose but it sure makes you happy when they do lose with grace.

The car ride home was quiet.  And as I drove, I thanked God that no one got hurt and that Max's character grew a little stronger.  Philippians 4:13 is a popular verse that says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  And, tonight I reminded Max that this verse means we can lose with grace because God gives us the strength to do so.


1 comment:

Good Friday