Sunday, December 29, 2013

40 & It Only Gets Better

Reflections on Turning 40

1.  Clinique has become my best friend. I love Clinique Bonus Time!

2.  I still have a lot to learn.

3.  People drift in and out of your life.  Be radical in your hospitality.

4.  Glad to have Julie in my life.  She is my stylist at Hot Locks & keeps my hair looking good!

5.  The key to staying young is hanging out & investing in youth/college students who are changing the world - including your own kiddos!

6.  I have less patience for time-wasters.  I want to use every moment to make a difference and leave the world better than I found it.

7.  I have loved deeply. And I've been hurt deeply.

8.  I have found I love my husband more each year. He is my best friend! 

9.  Staying fit is hard but it's extremely important for your health and sanity. I'm running the mini marathon with K. J. Powell & Karen Curnutte. I did my first century ride 4 years ago and it was a wonderful experience.  Set fitness goals!

10.  Some dreams were greater than I dreamed.

11.  Live SIMPLY!  Thankful to be able to give to people in need, to projects like the ARISE Youth Center & to projects like the Bilingual School in Honduras that are literally changing lives. 

12. I am not perfect.  I am a sinner who loves God.

13.  No matter what your past holds, God can still use you.

14.  I want my kids to look back when they are older and see that I was an imperfect mother who did the best she could. I love my two sons dearly - Elliott and Max.

15.  I want my parents/family to know how great they are and how thankful I am for the family gatherings I had while growing up.  

16.  I pray for my son’s future spouses.  I often wonder if I have met either of them yet.  

17.  I am blessed beyond measure and can never thank Jesus enough. As Dave Ramsey says, “I am better than I deserve.”

18.  Through everything God is faithful.

19.  I am not where I thought I would be when I was younger. But I am where I know God wants me.  Thankful to be in a church that supports women who are called to preach, teach and minister in a church.

20.  More than anything, I cherish my relationship with Christ. Spiritual things matter. Eternity matters.

21.  I love the Church.  I am more passionate than ever to lead the church to be a people who participate in risk-taking mission and service.  

22.  Growing up on a farm taught me humility and a great work-ethic.  I try my best to lead my kids in such a way that their lives will not reflect any entitlement or arrogance.

23.  So thankful for my MOM!  She allowed me to go where ever God called.

24.  Mentors are very important!  I would not be where I am today in ministry without my mentors - Les and Vicki Hollon, Chris Caldwell, Mack Craddock to name a few....

25.  Girlfriends are important.  Thankful for life-long friends like LeAnn New, Gretchen "Abenroth"  and Julie Shahroudi.  

26.  Everyone should be in a "Small Group" at your church.  I love mine - Liz, Lisa, Dolly, Janet, Amy, Molly, Laura, Marla, Ann, Jenny

27.  Books keep me motivated. I love leadership books. I'm currently reading "Multipliers."

28.  You should love your JOB!   I love my colleagues at MCC!

29.  Reading my Bible everyday reminds me of God's Amazing Grace - even when I don't feel it or see it.

30.  Don't be afraid to fail or let your kids fail.  Failure (in a strange way) brings about confidence and direction.

31. I have learned that these things are important if I am to bear fruit for Christ:  Radical Hospitality....Passionate Worship....Intentional Faith Development....Risk-taking Mission...and Extravagant Generosity!

32.  Get an education!  I become more thankful for my education each and every day.  I was the first on either side of my family to graduate from college.  So thankful for teachers!

33.  Take time to sit on the front porch swing with your grandparents.  The wisdom of my grandparents is forever engrained in my memory. 

34.  Christian Community has been so important to me over the years. Thankful for the Christian Communities/Churches I've been a part of over the years - including those in Costa Rica and Honduras!  They have helped form me into the person I am today.

35.  Go on a yearly vacation with your family!  Put your phones away and enjoy each other. Play games together like Sequence and Rummy.

36.  Say I'm sorry when you mess up.

37.  If you fail, try again! 

38.  Ask before you assume what other people need.  

39.  Say your prayers with your family each night before you go to sleep.

40.  A little lip gloss makes you feel better than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday