Wednesday, March 5, 2014

During Lent - Sharpen our Focus, O God

As a youngster in the church, I never celebrated Ash Wednesday. Actually, I had never heard of Ash Wednesday until I joined the staff at Broadway Baptist in Louisville, KY in 2001. Over the last few years, I have come to appreciate the meaning of Ash Wednesday for it forces me to break my normal routine and sharpen my focus on a holy God.

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent - the 40 day period (exclusive of Easter Sunday) leading up to Resurrection Sunday. For me, Lent is a season of preparation and repentance. It is a call to prayer; a call to self-examination, a call to self-denial and a call to giving.

Call to Prayer: For whom and what do I need to intentionally pray?

Call to self-examination: Where is there sadness and darkness in my life? Where do I need forgiveness? Help me God to repent and return to you (Joel 2:1-2, 12-13). Help me to recognize my need for a Savior.

Call to self-denial: What can I give up in order to experience "sacrifice?" What can I do without so I can focus on the things that you care about deeply, God?

Call to giving: Where can I serve in your church, your community and your world? Help me think of my needs less and focus on the needs of others. God, I know that it is in others that I often see you and find you.

As you begin this journey of Lent, you must start with rending your heart - tearing it from self-absorption and binding yourself to Jesus. Regardless of your current state or your proneness to wander, "return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." (Joel 2:13)

After all, Lent is not about your faithfulness, but rather about the faithfulness of Jesus on your behalf. He is the faithful One!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday