Monday, February 29, 2016

God's Kindness

Lenten Reflection

S. Scripture - Romans 2:4 - Do you not realize that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?

O. Observation - What is repentance?  It's a change in intention, attitude and behavior.  It's not saying "I'm Sorry" and continuing the behavior.  It is a change!  Many Christians have grown up in homes/churches where they were taught that they would go to hell if they didn't repent of their sins.  In this case,  I believe people often repented out of fear of going to "hell" instead of a genuine change of intention, attitude and behavior.  I love Romans 2:4 because it tells us that God's loving kindness (not the threat of hell) leads us to repentance - a change in intention, attitude and behavior.

A. Application - In my relationships with my family and friends, I must remember that loving kindness is what leads to repentance and not fear.  We must take time (in loving kindness) to explain the incredible benefits of what a change in intention, attitude and behavior will produce.  Now, of course I realize this may not work all of the time. And, I'm not a therapist.  However,  I do know from my own personal experience - that lovingkindness and not fear leads to repentance! 

K. Kneel - Thank you, God, for your lovingkindness that leads to repentance!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday